Hey there and HAPPY THANKSGIVING (if you’re American)!!
It’s been a long day (but a very, very good one). I forgot to turn off my alarms for school, so one woke me up at nine o’clock this morning, after I ended up staying up until like two chopping sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner and reading Emma for homework.
Despite how tired I was though, I was Very Awake at that point, so I grabbed my laptop and managed to get in 2.5k before heading downstairs for a late breakfast.
Watched the end of the Detroit Thanksgiving parade with my family. Ate lots of carbs. Did a grocery run, showered, and made a Rice Krispie turkey. (All in a day’s work for Julia the Vegetarian Girl.)
Then, it was off to my grandparents’ house for more cooking. Made mac and cheese (my specialty, obvs). Aaand finally, in the late afternoon, sat down to dinner. At which point I ate so much I felt like I was going to explode. (My mom and I spent some time after dessert conjugating different ways of saying that in Spanish. Voy a explotar. Exploto. Estoy explotando. Exploté.)
During the Rest & Digest period between dinner and dessert, I played cell phone games with my dad with football on in the background and somehow managed to get in another 1.5k.
Around nine, everyone said goodbye, we packed up all of the leftovers, and my family headed home. And now I’m finishing up my writing for the day, with another 500 words, which brings me to 41,552 words overall currently.
I’m going to try to get in one last 500 in an effort to reach my goal for the day of 42k, but I’m really sleepy from all that food, so we’ll see.
In the meantime, a few of the things I’m thankful for today:
- Family and friends I wouldn’t trade for the world (including a chubby little beagle curled up on the chair beside me).
- All the amazing people involved in Ch1Con these days. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would grow into what it’s becoming. I’m so overjoyed to see my little baby conference all growed up.
- My amazing critique partners, who always know exactly what to say (whether it’s to threaten me with increasingly cruel and unusual punishments until I fix something in a MS or to reassure me my writing really isn’t That Bad when something doesn’t work out the way I want it to).
- Also, my non-critique partner writing friends, who are so supportive and smart and sarcastic and kind and lovely and exactly the sort of people who prove the true reason you shouldn’t make friends on the internet is because friends on the internet live far too far away.
- Pumpkin pie.
- I know I say it every year, but: You. I don’t know what I would do without you and your beautiful face, dear reader. This blog is going on four years old now (today’s post is my 476th one published on here) and that is absolutely mind-boggling. I started this blog when I was a senior in high school; now I’m a senior in college. And through all the changes, through all the ups and downs, you (at least metaphorically–because let’s be real, this could be the first post you’ve ever read–but NO MATTER) have been there.
Thank you. So much.
Love you. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Goal for Today: 2,000 + 1,000 (from yesterday) + 3,000 (from Monday)
Overall Goal: 42,000
Current Word Count: 41,552
PS. I know you’re wondering about that Rice Krispie turkey. It fell apart a bit on the car ride over the river and through the woods to my grandparents’ house, but this is basically what it looked like. (I say “looked,” because you had better bet we demolished this thing.)