We’ve got a three-way tie for this week’s Wordy Wednesday, so between that and the fact that this is the first Wednesday of 2013, I figured I’d give you a special treat instead of the usual poem or something. BEHOLD: A Cadence excerpt.
Back Story: [Redacted]
[Sorry this is no longer available–I’m editing Cadence now with the hopes of maybe, possibly publishing it someday. Thanks for the interest, though!]
Before I go, I figured I’d take a second to talk about New Year’s Resolutions, since I’m one of those sentimental weirdos who makes resolutions every year (12, actually–one to represent each month). So, an update on my progress from last year’s Resolutions:
- Blog twice a week: I almost succeeded on this one. Almost. But then Spanish class had to come and mess it all up this past semester. I’m still pretty proud of myself for sticking with blogging throughout the entire year, though, since I’ve never been the type of person patient or responsible enough to keep a diary or anything like that. So this is like halfway accomplished.
- Write a novel: This is another halfway one. While I didn’t write a complete novel in 2012, despite my best efforts to, I did finish one novel and get nearly 90,000 words into another, so I’d say this one was nearly accomplished as well.
- Do my best to get a literary agent: Check plus on this one, although I didn’t succeed in actually procuring a lit agent. I feel like I made some pretty big strides, though, towards snagging an agent someday, this year.
- Do my best to get a talent agent: Yeah, this would be a failure. Namely because I realized partway through the year that I really ought not pursue the acting industry–as much as I love it, I don’t love it enough. Which kind of sucks, but oh well.
- Make new friends: Check plus, although really: I’m a freshman in college. It would be sort of difficult NOT to make new friends.
- Enjoy college, no matter where I end up: When I wrote this resolution, it was because I had just been deferred from the University of Michigan and thought that I was probably going to end up at every Wolverine’s worst nightmare, Michigan State. Not that I personally have anything against Michigan State, really, because a ton of my family went there, but at the same time: A ton of my family went there. And I didn’t want to just be following in the footsteps of everyone else (hence how a born-and-raised Spartan became a Wolverine). Luckily, U of M ended up accepting me a month or two later, and I got to go to my dream school after all. And I have most definitely been enjoying college so far. So check plus.
- Get all As for my last two semesters of high school: I was so close. SO CLOSE! And then my senioritis caught up with me at the end of second semester… and in the middle of it… and at the beginning… and yeah. I got a B. Ugh. This is another halfway accomplishment.
- Start posting covers of songs on Youtube: Total and complete failure, although I did end up putting up a couple of original songs this year. This is going to be an unofficial Resolution in 2013, because I still think Youtube is the coolest thing ever and I kind of desperately want to find a way to be more involved in it. But anyway, for 2012, this was a failure.
- ENJOY LIFE, even if it’s not going my way: Check plus. 🙂
- Help someone who I don’t have to – be selfless: Check plus.
- Change the world: Check plus, I guess, since I did “change the world” this year, technically, although not in as major of a way as I would have liked.
- Find happiness. Check plus.
And now, drum roll please…
My New Year’s Resolutions for 2013:
1. Do something selfless at least once a week
2. Pass all of my classes (especialmente Españolo), and with a 3.0 or higher
3. Make new friends (but keep the old—one is silver and the other gold)
4. Write a novel
5. Participate in FAWM (February Album Writing Month)
6. Blog at least twice a week
7. Start querying Dreamcatcher
8. Save $365 to give to charity
9. Go to church at least once a month
10. Get a heck of a lot of planning done for Ch1Con 2014
11. Learn how to do a Proper British Dialect (#11 is subject to change)
12. Get my driver’s license (<–Don’t laugh at me. I’ve never had need for it before, but now I do.)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Do you have any Resolutions for 2013?
Oh, and PS: I totally 4-pointed my first semester of college. I AM SO HAPPY YOU HAVE NO IDEA AHHH. 🙂